What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Friday, March 24, 2006

Friday Grab-Bag

*Big win for Carolina last night as LSU knocked off Dook in the tourney. We were setting up for our weekly large group meeting (late-night start last night) when the game finished. A student grabbed a mic, made the announcement, and students linked arms and swayed and sang the alma matter. I heard that Reddick was crying, and I gotta' confess that I was a little misty-eyed myself.

*Speaking of the tourney, three of four games last night were amazing. The LSU upset, and Texas and UCLA pulled out wins with seconds left in their games. Some great games lined up this weekend. My revised brackets: a Texas-Wichita State final--doesn't everybody?

*Speaking of our large group meeting last night, my talk on McDonald's being ethnic food went pretty well. There's always something afterwards that I wished that I would have said. In this case it's surprising since I managed to talk for nearly 40 minutes after getting up to speak at 10:45 (which is way past my bedtime). At any rate, the real key for most white folks to understand this issue is to look for opportunities for displacement and immersion. When you intentionally pursue opportunities to be a minority (in my case, living on Overbrook Road for 2 1/2 years) you begin to see things a little differently. I told my story, but didn't necessarily clearly articulate the charge to engage in immersion somewhere.

*Big weekend on campus. Tonight is "Ladies Night"--a 20+ year tradition in InterVarsity at UNC where the men put together an evening to honor and encourage the women of the chapter. This usually takes the form of skits that are either self-depracating or self-glorifying, depending on the participant, but I have lots of fond memories of Ladies Night's as a student. I'm thankful for the men who started it long ago and for the culture of men serving and encouraging the women that it helps to foster.

*We've also got leadership selection all day Saturday. Over 80 students applied to be a part of leadership for the coming fall. I'm encouraged by the enthusiasm and grateful for the tremendous gifts and diversity of talents the Lord has gathered in our fellowship.

*On the home front, we managed to make it to late-March, but we've got our first real colds of the season. Davis sounds like he's about ready to cough up a lung (I'm hoping to snip it and frame it when it actually comes up--he might want to show his kids some day) and Zoe's stuffy and fussy. All this means that mom and dad didn't get much sleep last night, and we're thankful for the wonders of modern medicine that will hopefully clear everyone up in the next couple of days.

4 comments:

jdowner76 said...

Hey Alex ... John Downer, UR 98 here. Stumbled upon your blog while reading Bart's. Just thought I'd say hi. I enjoyed what you had to say ... I read the last three.

Alex said...

hey, john, thanks for checking in! hope you're doing well, i'm a big fan of Magnum B.I.'s blog!

Esther said...

Hey, Alex-
I really enjoyed the talk on Thursday. I really don't think much about racial issues although I did spend almost 5 years in a place where whites were the minority. But in Indonesia, it was not such a bad thing to be white. But it got me thinking about racial issues and how to respond and be more intentional. So, thanks!

Macon said...

getting back to important things like March Madness: woah! what a crazy cool tournament!

If the world's going to go all crazy and prevent The Blue Devils from their rightful place as Champions, then I prefer for it to go crazy all over and for a team like GMU to have a chance at the title. Go George Mason!

What a wild ride they must be on! Good for them.