What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Friday, December 30, 2005

Reflections on The War on Christmas Part 1

The fat man has come and gone and some of you overachievers have already taken the tree down. But there was a lot of hype this Christmas about the 'war on Christmas,' particularly from evangelical Christians, and I thought I'd jump in before the dust totally settled.

It's not Old Navy's job to keep Christ in Christmas. It's the churches' job to do that. Best Buy will only tell me Merry Christmas to get me to buy the Ipod from them, like a used car salesman manipulating me to buy his car. I'd rather the large corporations not break commandments (thou shalt not lie) and simply wish me a happy holiday season rather than manipulating the Christmas name to get me to buy their products. Really, the "war on Christmas" has been going on ever since there was money to be made in it.

1 comment:

Macon said...

It's time we put the "Christ' back in "Chrysler."