What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Tuesday, October 16, 2018

How To Get to a Peaceful End

So I'm reading the crucifixion narratives in Luke this week in my daily readings. And it strikes me that Jesus's last words are so incredibly fitting: "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit."

And what's so fitting about that is he's been doing this all along. Jesus, at every turn, submits and commits his spirit to the Father. Over and over and over again. All day. Every day. And the results are the single most consequential life in all of history.

But in that one moment he's able to trust God with his life and his death because he's proven God faithful over and over and over again, thousands of big and small ways, all along the way.

And so Jesus is at peace, even in this horrific, final moment, his last breaths.

It would seem that if you and I could arrive at that moment for each of us with this same well-practiced surrender and trust and track record of having met with God over and over and over again, it would serve us quite well.

Maybe my journal full of prayers needs to be marked less by asking for stuff and processing the ups and downs of life.  Maybe it needs to be marked by more surrendering myself and all that stuff to the Lord, committing my own spirit and my to-do's and dreams and hopes and worries and fears all to the Father.

That, it would seem, would make for the type of life I want to live and some very good practice for that last moment.

No comments: