What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Thursday, September 09, 2010

Last Grab-Bag Thoughts on Having the House Broken Into

Some final thoughts (for now) from the past couple of days post the break-in at our house over the weekend.

*Plenty of folks have thoughtfully asked about how the kids are doing. That was actually one of our worst fears as well--particularly as our six and four year old are both pretty finely-tuned emotionally.

But the Lord's been good to help us help them navigate this. We've talked some about forgiving the guys who did it. We've laughed about them trying to use our dysfunctional microwave and how it would burn their popcorn. Zoe prayed two nights ago about forgiving them.

We've been helped by the possibly fictitious but functional idea that the guys who did this clearly knew that we weren't home and wouldn't have broken in if we had been home. Home, then remains safe for us while we're in it.

It still comes up randomly, and when it does we talk through it. They're a little spooked but seem to be processing it well.

*Lest I come across here in these posts as completely angst or anger or sadness-free, I've definitely had my moments. In particular, my wife's computer had tons of pictures on it that we didn't have anywhere else. Lots of great pics of our kids, totally lost for good.

And we're terrible at taking video of our kids, but what little video we did have was stored on the video camera that also walked out with the thieves.

These realizations have dawned on us at random intervals and have definitely been cause for less than happy thoughts. But it's also pushed us to more prayer and releasing the things that we need to release.

*I joked yesterday that my wife says this is my fault for preaching a sermon on "Overcoming Opposition" on Sunday. If you're interested in listening to the aforementioned sermon, you can do so at the Chapel Hill Bible Church sermon podcast page. For those of you not-so-techno-savvy, your computer most likely has an MP-3 player already installed. All you gotta' do is click to play.

Given the tremendous mental acuity of Piebald Life readers most of you would recognize the influences that have shaped my speaking.

So let me here and now recognize those influences, in no particular order: Monty Python's "Search for the Holy Grail," Steve Shelby, Andy Stanley, Tim Keller, Miroslav Volf, the good folks at All Saints Anglican Church, and of course all the students who have had to suffer under many of talks over the years and have been gracious enough to give me constructive feedback.

Oh, and apologies to the good people at Harris Teeter.

*Given the obvious reminder of the fragility of our homes here on earth, the question that Jesus asks in John 14 that I read over the weekend as I continue my study through the gospels of the Jesus' questions is particularly poignant:
In my Father's house there are many dwelling places. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go to prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also.
Amen, come Lord Jesus! A big house! Lots of rooms prepared for our arrival! And my guess is that none of the microwaves burn the popcorn.

1 comment:

TwoSquareMeals said...

And all of those memories stored in those photos and videos will be there, too. At least, I have come to believe that that must be part of the beauty of eternity, having time to reflect on all of the beautiful moments of our mortal lives...my forgetful and sleep-deprived mind is counting on it.