What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Friday, April 23, 2010

What I Gotta' Do Before I Can Do What I Gotta' Do

So maybe I'm just getting more uptight in my old age, but today was one of those days when I had a bunch to do and couldn't do it until other, less important things got done.

Printer cartridge dry. Seriously annoying. I've got important things to print. What am I supposed to do? I got fifty emails and dozens of phone calls to make, but after a week of not having a printer that prints except in purple, I went to Staples. Printer cartridge. Check.

Oil change 850 miles overdue. I feel like I'm driving my poor beat-up 112,000 mile Mitsubishi Galant with gritty sandpaper running through the engine instead of oil. Gotta' get the oil changed. Jiffy Lube. Check.

Not much gas. Could get home, but then what? Go in the morning? Stop to get gas. Check.

Realize that I need flip-chart paper, tape, and markers for a presentation this afternoon--this realization hits after I have already left Staples far behind. Hit up Walgreens, they come through for me. Presentation props, check.

Ahhhh, now I can really get to work. None of this had any bearing on my tasks for the day, but there's something about nagging tasks floating out there, left un-done and hanging over me, that can make it hard for me to really focus on the work at hand.

But maybe that's just me.

Meanwhile, last night's large group was a great good-bye. Woke up this morning feeling centered and grateful and peaceful about leaving here and looking ahead to what God has next. I'll miss the people, but it's time.

A good gift to me. I'll be praying for my seniors to have the same deep sense of peace for their own lives.

No comments: