What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Monday, January 11, 2010

San Francisco Notings

So after spending the past five days in San Francisco visiting my brother and his family (hence the blogger silence), there are a number of things that stand out about life on the west-coast side of the world.

1. Everyone should visit San Francisco, it's incredible. Only make sure first that you've got generous family willing to take time off to map out and drive you around and sort through all the great stuff there is to do.

Oh, and they also should be able to cook five-star meals, but maybe we were just spoiled.

2. Gathering with friends on Sunday morning for Daniel and Laura's weekly house-church, a conversation quickly began about earthquake and tsunami preparedness.

I don't believe that I've ever been privy to such a conversation in my fourteen years of living in largely land-locked cities (Richmond, Durham). But given that we were about ten blocks from the Pacific and at the same time living precariously on a pretty shifty tectonic plate, these things are probably important to discuss.

3. The weather in San Fran seems to always be hovering around 50 and foggy. Ignore weather.com.

4. My brother helped me out by letting me in on a secret about life in San Francisco. Upon becoming an official resident, the city issues you a Toyota Prius and a Macbook. This is the only way to explain the ubiquitous nature of both.

In fact, so consumed were San Franciscans with their love for all things Apple, that I dared not allow my Dell to be seen outside the house.

Back to classes for my students, back into the swing of things for me--spring semester starts today!

No comments: