What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Monday, September 07, 2009

The Brothel, the Casket, and Labor Day

Labor Day weekend every year comes at just the right time for me. Not only is it a chance to rest after the frenzied pace of the first couple weeks of school, our annual Labor Day tradition reminds me why I do what I do.

Her senior year, my wife Kelly lived in a house of nine women in Chapel Hill/Carrboro. All of these women were involved in InterVarsity as undergrads.

At the end of their year together, they (along with a couple of women who didn't live in the house me and my roommate referred to as "the brothel") committed to reuniting every year on Labor Day.

Fourteen years later, we just returned from Ocean Isle Beach. This weekend's festivities included 29 people--the original women plus husbands plus a fleet of children. Unfortunately, a couple of folks couldn't make it this year.

Most of us were involved with IV at UNC while in college. We have all been together often enough over the years to feel like family. Fourteen years later, all the marriages are still intact. Fourteen years later, all of us are still walking with the Lord.

I have been doing this job long enough to recognize that campus ministries go through seasons--some times things are strong, other times the group doesn't quite gel. We were involved in a particular season of IV at UNC that was extraordinary.

My goal for my students is that they will graduate UNC with life-long soul-caliber friends. Friends who will bring them to Jesus. Friends who will stand with them at their wedding and carry them out in their casket and in between love and encourage and rebuke and speak the gospel to them.

Kelly and I had just such an experience. And this weekend, I was reminded what a tremendous gift it is.

No comments: