What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Celebrating Sarcasm Redeemed

I just found out that today is G.K. Chesterton's 134th birthday.

For those of you who are unfamiliar, Chesterton was a brilliant writer who's words blend an incredibly quick wit and dizzying theological insight into one fun-filled reading package. Nobody leverages the power of sarcasm in more redemptive, God-honoring ways than Chesterton does. He gives me tremendous hope that some day by the power of the Holy Spirit, my own sarcasm might bless people as richly.

I've only read two of his works: Orthodoxy and The Everlasting Man. He also wrote a bunch of fictional works--mostly mysteries. And I don't agree with everything he says. He's certainly not a big fan of the Protestant Reformation (and really, given that the Reformation has produced Joel Osteen as one it's outcomes, I'm starting to see his point) and there are other minor places where I would beg to differ.

But if you're a person who fashions themselves to be an intelligent, nuanced objector or struggler towards issues of faith, you could do no better than to give Mr. Chesterton a read.

No comments: