What I Write About

I write about the infinite number of intersections between every day life and the good news of the God who has come to get us.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Names

I've been thinking about what Jesus has to say about anger, specifically the part about names: "anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca,' is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell." (Matt 5:22).

I think one reason why Jesus specifically talks here about names is this: new names stick. Ever have someone give you an unwanted nickname that hung around for years? Ever have someone call you a name that cut so deep and hard and meets or confirms so many of your deepest and worst fears that you think you're going to die? Ever find yourself thinking on that name over and over and over again?

Because we're fallen creatures, our souls ache for clean starts. We long for new names. And so when we are handed new names from the people around us, most of us tend to believe them. It fills the void that we know we have, this need to be re-named.

"To him who overcomes, I will...give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it." This is the promise of Revelation 2:17. And I think this is why Jesus talks specifically about name-calling in his rant on anger.

Jesus is jealous for our new name. Jesus knows that we are fallen creatures longing for new names and He is adamant that only He will be the one to give it to us. Our new name is His to give and His alone. All other names, nicknames, and titles must either submit and point to our true, new name, or they will be burned away. Our God is a consuming fire.

Jesus is jealous for your new name. All the names you've imbibed along the way must will be tried according to the real new name that Jesus has for you when it's all over.

And the names that have been given to you that cause you to walk with a limp? The names that make you cringe inwardly upon recollecting the moment you received it? The name that you fear is most true about you? The name that you wonder and worry about and that causes you to operate in fear and anxiety in your relationships? That name is not your new name. You are free to let that go, to hand it over to Jesus, to allow Him to be your new name giver.

There is only one last word on who you and I are. It is decisive, it is holy, it is loving-kindness, it is passionate for our good. We are free to shake off all other names until the final one is given to us in Christ. And that's good news.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

What an encouraging post, Alex ! I have had a few nick names in my short 33 years of life ... a few that do, indeed, make me cringe when I think of them !! I think that I even have some names that I put on myself from time to time that are not names God would give me. Your post was a great reminder to shake them off !

I really enjoy reading your posts ! You have always been a great writer and I have always loved the passion you write with. I am sure that your blog has inspired, encouraged and touched many lives ! Mine being one of the many ! :)

Alex said...

thanks, ya'll!